Most of printing students and printers are concerned about the future of printing industry and the reason is very obvious as Books are being replaced by eBooks. Posters are being replaced by internet advertisements and emails have replaced postal mails. Believe me , print is still holding its ground and its certainly not going to die ; however printing industry is to be gone through some big transformations in next 5 years as printers are thinking beyond papers.
Digital technology has made print better rather killing it and the packaging industry is always there to support printing industry. We will discuss about the future of printing in our next post with stats. For now , We will discuss about courses and colleges available in India for completing education in the field of printing technology.
Printing industry is growing very fast in India. Industry always demands skills and to fulfill that requirement there are various institutions that are offering different courses in printing technology ranging from short term diploma to long term degree. Lets have a look at these courses –
Printing Technology Courses
Printing technology courses are usually offered by polytechnic institutes , colleges and university at different 4 levels: Diploma , Degree , Master Degree and Ph.D. .
Courses , Eligibility and Duration
|S.N.||Courses in Printing Technology||Eligibility||
|1.||Diploma||Matriculation with Maths and Science||
|2.||B.Tech/ B.E.||12th Pass with Physics ,maths and any one of these subjects (Chemistry/Computer science /Biology/Bio-Technology) + Required rank in AIEEE or state Level Engineering Competitive Exam
Diploma Holders can Get a Direct entry in 2nd year through LEET.
|3.||M.Tech/ M.E||B.Tech/B.E in Printing/Packaging Technology with minimum 55% Marks + Valid GATE score or Required marks in test conducted by the university||
|4.||Ph.D.||Depends on University||
Industrial Training Institutes (ITI’s) also offer specialized short term certificate programs like machine operation, screen printing , DTP(desktop publishing) and post press operations like binding etc . These courses help acquiring enough skills to work in small scale companies.
Overview of Printing courses
The printing course mainly revolves around the basic 5 printing processes: Offset/Web-offset printing process, Flexography printing process , Gravure printing process, Screen printing process and Digital printing process. As printing technology has several aspects and not just limited to only printing processes, So other than mainstream subjects , other subjects such as Entrepreneurship Development , Cost estimation , Quality control ,Electric circuits, Digital electronics , Theory of machines , Fundamental of computers , Graphics design , Publishing ,typography , Environmental study etc. are also offered.
Student get a chance to study and understand each printing process thoroughly from an order take place in a company to dispatching the product. Printing student learns press press , press and post press operations of each printing process.
Summer industrial Training – Industrial training is imperative part of all the printing courses and perhaps the most important part of the curriculum as it gives the student an opportunity to put all the knowledge into practice and prepare them for real industrial environment.
Institutes/Universities offering Courses in Printing
There are several institutions in India offering different courses in printing technology. Here is the list of institutes/universities offering various courses in the field of printing technology-
TechnologyInstitute offering Ph.D in Printing Technology
- Anna University, College of Engineering Guindy, Chennai (Visit website)
Institutes offering Masters degree in Printing Technology
- Anna University, College of Engineering Guindy, Chennai
- Guru Jambeshwar University of Science and Technology Hisar(G.J.U S&T), Haryana.
- Jadavpur University, Kolkata , West Bengal.
- Pune Vidyarthi Griha’s (PVG’s), Pune, Maharashtra.
Universities offering degree in Printing Technology
- Anna University, College of Engineering, Guindy, Chennai
- BMS College of Engineering, Bangalore
- Jadavpur University,Kolkata,West Bengal.
- Guru Jambeshwar University of Science and Technology, Hisar, Haryana.
- Institute of Engineering and Technology, Calicut University Campus, Tenhipalam, Malapuram, Kerala.
- JNTU College of Engineering, Kukatpally, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh.
- Pune Vidyarthi Griha’s (PVG’s) College of Engineering and Technology, Pune, Maharashtra.
- Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra, Haryana.
- Somany Institute of Technology And Management , Rewari, Haryana.
Universities offering Diploma Printing Technology
- NR Institute of Printing Technology, Teliar Ganj, Allahabad, Uttar-Pradesh.
- Southern Regional Institute of Printing Technology, Adyar, Chennai.
- Western Regional Institute of Printing Technology, Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- Maharashtra Institute of Printing Technology, Pune, Maharashtra
- Pusa Polytechnic, Pusa, New Delhi
- Government Kalaniketan, Jabalpur, Madhya-Pradesh.
- Govt Polytechnic, Gulzar Bagh, Patna , Bihar
- Govt. Polytechnic, Gandhi Nagar, Ahmedabad, Gujarat.
- Institute of Printing Technology, Shoranur, Kerala.
- Government Institute of Printing Technology, Secunderabad, Uttar-Pradesh
- Institute of Printing Technology, Sivakasi ,Tamil Nadu
- Times Institute of Printing Management, Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- Don Bosco School of Printing, New Delhi
- Government Institute of Printing Technology, Bangalore, Karnataka.
- Salesian Institute of Graphic Arts, Chennai
- Graphic Arts Technology & Education, Kurla, Mumbai , Maharashtra.
- Institute of Printing Technology, Sivakasi, Tamilnadu
- Institute of Printing Technology, Chennai
- Institute of Printing Technology, Hyderabad
- School of Printing Technology, Bangalore, Karnataka.
- Government Polytechnic College,Makhupura, Ajmer, Rajasthan.
- The Regional Institute of Printing Technology, Jadavpur, Kolkata, West Bengal.
Jobs/Scopes in printing Industry
Life will be too difficult without Print. Its either too difficult or impossible to tell , what is inside a package without checking the “Printed Label” on the package. Printing is going to be stay around for a long long time. Despite digital revolution , printing has find its way and holding its ground. Printing and packaging industry are growing at a fast rate and has a share in GDP. This industry has immense employment opportunities and the most of the students studying printing technology are recruited by printing companies, packaging companies , advertising agencies , paper and ink manufacturers , Newspaper agencies and printing machine manufacturers .
Where can a printing student get the job opportunities
- Central or Govt. Printing presses
- Commercial printing presses
- Publishing Houses
- Printing Machine Manufacturing companies
- Packaging Company
- Advertising agency
- Ink and paper manufacturing companies
- Graphics design sector
- Software development Companies for Printing industry
- Research and development
Various Jobs Positions in Printing Industry and outside for the printing aspirants
- General Manager
- Chief Production Officer
- Production Manager
- Director / Assistant Director (Production)
- Technical Officer
- Printing Officer
- Publication Officer
- Professor/Lecturer in printing department of a college/university
- Graphics Designer
We will not discuss about salary and packages here in this post as its something that does’t depends on a course.
Every industry demands skills and want the candidates who are job-ready. The courses in printing technology are designed in such a way that students can acquire the skills they need in the industry at the end of the day. Thanks for reading my article and Best of Luck for your future.